Saturday 17 February 2018

Necromunda Escher Miniatures Metal Vs Plastic Comparison



With the release of the new edition of Necromunda, I thought it might be fun to compare the new figures to some of the original 90s metal figures. Going into the new set, I wanted to be able to use some of my older miniatures, but I was always concerned that the scale wouldn't fit. Obviously details and casting have come on, although I do think that a lot of the 90s Necromunda miniatures were way ahead of their time in terms of quality.



Plastic Escher in the centre, metals either side.

Scale wise, the Escher match quite closely. The new plastics are bigger, but not noticeably on the tabletop. If anything, it gives quite a natural variation in height. Detail-wise, the plastics took a lot of the elements from the metal miniatures, so they really do look quite good together and only an experienced eye is really going to be able to pick them out.

I also wanted to make this post as most of the time when you see them side by side it's a lovely new model with a really crusty old one. As I've painted these all recently, it seemed a lot fairer, as you're not swayed so much just by the paint/built quality, and can actually see what they look like painted and based next to each other.

All I can say is that I'm happy to have both in my gang!

Again, old metals either side of the plastic ganger.



4 comments:

  1. One of the reasons the new ones come across as bigger is that they've all got high heels on, while the old ones were sculpted with far more sensible boots for getting into fights. If you re-work the feet a bit to get rid of the high heels, they're significantly closer in size.

    I really like that I've got most of the old metals, plus two sets of the new ones. Gives me fantastic variety and tons of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on matching the paints in, they look well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hugely helpful! I have just located my old childhood Escher gang and was wondering how I could bring them into the modern game. This is a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I was curious myself, so it's nice to hear that the article has been helpful.

      Delete