Friday 20 May 2016

How I painted this in 45 minutes - FPM Method

Remember that big guy in the Deadzone Plague Faction Set? Well, I have no idea what he is as I bought a set on ebay cheaply to use as enemies in another game.


As models bought specifically to use as enemies, I wanted to get a decent result as fast as humanly possible. I didn't have an airbrush at the time and even if I did it would've been too slow and involve too much effort (it probably takes half an hour to set up - I wanted to be done by then!).


The point of this article is not only to brag on my awesomeness, but to share a few quick techniques that helped me achieve good battle ready results in a very limited time frame. Admittedly this exact method won't be useful for every project, but it is a cool way to paint and may be useful to a less extreme extent for other people (unless you actually play Deadzone, have a horde of Zombies to paint or some Nurgle, in which case prepare to be dazzled). I still can't believe how good he looks for the time I put in!


He will be forever known as Fruit Punch Mouth (Hence the "FPM" Method)


Blood on his mouth? no he just loves his fruit punch.... but damn is he a messy eater.

Getting Good Results Fast (The FPM Method)



  1. Use a limited colour palette. This works especially well if you pick models that naturally favour a low number of different colours. Take FPM himself - his body is basically one big crabby mass, meaning we can blast him up entirely in one colour.
  2. Get creative with textures and washes - for this guy I actually took Baal Red wash (Old GW), put it on an old tough square ended brush and flicked it at him all over to make a speckly blood spattered look.
  3. Don't be afraid of a few cheap effects. On FPM the blood is eye catching and really brings the model alive, without it his hastily dry brushed mass would be more obvious!




STARS! where's Chris Redfield when you need him?



How I Painted Fruit Punch Mouth



  1. Basecoat with Rakarth Flesh (use a BIG brush)
  2. Wash with Rhinox Hide (then either have a break while it dries, batch other models or grab a hairdryer!)
  3. Drybrush the whole model with a 50/50 mix of White Scar and Rakarth Flesh
  4. Drybrush pure White Scar
  5. With a smaller brush wash Biel-Tan Green (shade, so it comes pre mixed) around the bottom of the craggy details and eyes. This is a really nice effect that takes almost no time, but be fairly sparing with it.
  6. With a stiff brush flick red wash (I used Baal Red) at him to make a blood spatter look. you can also just paint a little onto some of the more distressed areas and places where we will add the full blood effect.
  7. For the actual proper blood splotches I ran a thick glaze of Khorne Red on his hands and where he dribbled his fruit punch. Citadel also made an actual blood effect paint that would probably work, or just do a directed wash.
  8. Base however you want - and we're done. I did go back later and add a bit of gloss varnish to the blood.






Coming to a barbeque near you this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment