Wednesday 12 July 2017

Slaanesh Female Raptor Squad



Keeping the Chaos posts going, I'm sharing this rather buxom unit today. I picked these up just over a year ago at Salute 2016 from a lesser known manufacturer; Prodos Games. If you've heard the name before, it is probably in relation to their highly successful AvP table-top game. These models are part of a game called "Space Crusaders" that they released a little while ago, and a unit of 5 of them is a reasonable £20. A pretty decent price for such well-sculpted resin miniatures.





I'll probably do a full review in the future when I get more of them painted up, and a chance to take some more interesting pictures. That said, one of the things that I really like about them is the variety of poses. They're nice and dynamic.

I had originally planned to paint them up differently from my Emperor's Children as a separate force of Daemons, but why have two smaller forces when you could have one massive one with tons of options? Tough decision.

I've really enjoyed painting them so far too. The little skulls and bone details are great, and I've been using the same style on their skin as  I did with my Daemonettes which has worked out well. The details on their faces are also really cool, and I've been very impressed with how their expressions have come to life as I've worked on them. I've said it before, but when you're painting female faces, it's really important to keep the highlight fairly smooth and not too harsh, otherwise they look all craggy (which works great on rugged marines, but looks terrible on women). Just something to keep in mind if you're thinking about picking up a box of them.



So much gold filigree to paint....




Style wise, they might not be everyone's cup of tea, as lets be honest, that armour ain't covering much, or protecting from much either! I like them though, as part of the fun of Slaanesh is always keeping it bodacious and ostentatious!

I've finished 2 of them so far, with another two most of the way there. I'd love to get the squad done, so wish me luck on the last leg of the journey.

More Chaos again tomorrow, keeping the conversions coming...


 

9 comments:

  1. I like them too. They look ridiculous, but that sort of works with Slannesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much sums it up! To be honest, I sometimes start to get tired of painting burly dudes too, so they make a nice change for a bit.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I'm very happy with how the paint has come out. I think style wise, they're a love or hate kind of thing, as they are a bit silly and not too classically "grimdark". Good fun though!

      Delete
  3. Heh, they are indeed perfect for Slaanesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not many dark gods could get away with such silliness!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I would prefer that aesthetic for something that was more clearly Daemonic, like Warp Talons or Possessed, rather than for Raptors that are supposed to be relying on their Armour, but viewed without regard to their relationship with the Rules they're being used as, they are pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rule of cool and all that. I like them, although I agree as true Raptors they should have more armour. I think I'll get more use out of them as Raptors, rather than Warp Talons though (both points and power levels-wise, warp talons have always seemed a bit costly and like they could do with a few stat boosts - would it kill them to add another attack to that profile!)

      Delete
  5. Those are some awesome looking models, and your paint job is great. I like the more pink approach to them than the typical deeper purple tones.

    ReplyDelete